Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont has been a primary part of Vermont’s health care system for more than 30 years, providing thousands of Vermonters with health benefits and services. Indeed, we are an independent, local, not-for-profit Vermont company, governed and managed locally, and our sole focus is Vermont. For more than a generation we have been the only company to offer coverage to all Vermonters, regardless of their age or medical status, or whether they purchase through employer-based health insurance plans, as individuals, or obtain coverage to supplement their federal Medicare benefits. Our affiliation with the national Blue Cross and Blue Shield system provides our members with the security of seamless, discounted health care services when they travel across the country or abroad, but we exist solely to serve Vermonters.
We think this is particularly important in this time of great change. We believe our single-state focus allows our about-340 employees to bring highly personalized service to our customers and members. It also enables us to work closely with our state’s communities and health care providers to manage costs and improve the quality of health care, and to adapt our organization to meet Vermont’s changing needs.
Our company is centrally located in the state, headquartered on a scenic hillside in the central Vermont community of Berlin.
A transformed health care system in which every Vermonter has health care coverage, and receives timely, effective, affordable care.
We are committed to the health of Vermonters, outstanding member experiences and responsible cost management for all of the people whose lives we touch.
Who We Are
We are committed to customer driven excellence and creating a superior member experience. We retain unwavering faith that we will prevail in the end, regardless of the difficulties, by demonstrating a strong professional will, courage and a relentless drive for meaningful progress and innovative change.
We are a company of committed and empowered people dedicated to our vision and core values. We focus on the future and take disciplined actions within a framework to constantly respond quickly to changes in our environment and customer needs. We are fearless learners not afraid to make and learn from mistakes. We understand that committed people, working together in a supportive environment, will succeed and that we have responsibilities for organizational success and outcomes.
- Above all, we value and respect each other and are driven by a strong sense of integrity, public responsibility and citizenship.
Climate & Culture Principles
- We put the customer first, leading to a strong organizational orientation toward satisfying the needs of current and potential customers.
- We contribute to a work environment that fosters empowerment to enable employees to think, behave, take action and control their work and decision making in autonomous ways.
- We constantly enable a perpetual cycle of change and adaptability; leading to innovation and change as market, customer and stakeholder needs change.
- We operate within a leadership framework that encompasses mechanisms to stimulate measured progress.
- We are committed to a management process of continuous improvement, whereby customer value processes are constantly evaluated and improved in light of their efficiency, effectiveness and flexibility.
Our Core Values
- Customer-driven excellence
- Focus on the future
- Valuing each other and our partners
- Integrity, public responsibility and citizenship
Always put member experience first
Standards of Business Conduct
General guidelines to help you understand the standards and ethics that underlie our Company practices.