An overview of the 2020 financials
- As Vermont’s local, not-for-profit health plan, your premium dollars stay here in Vermont.
- Our non-profit status and operating efficiency means 87-90 cents of every dollar of premium goes to paying health care costs for our members.
- By focusing on continuous improvement and cost management, we have held per member per month administrative costs nearly flat over the last ten years.
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont and our affiliates paid more than $1.1 billion toward member care in 2020. That is over $90 million on average each month paid to hospitals and providers on behalf of Vermonters.
- Member reserves are $103 million as of the end of December 2020. These reserves are required because we pay for health services needed by Vermonters, no matter what.
- That surplus represents approximately $540 for each member, which equates to one emergency room visit per person.
Please click here for our full financial report.