What is Velocity?
Velocity is a unique afterschool program designed and open to all students who identify as male.
- Increase self-esteem
- Encourage a healthy and active lifestyle
- Provide opportunities to try new fitness activities in a non-competitive setting
- Build confidence and communication skills
- Create an environment where students can challenge themselves both physically and mentally.
- Create a safe space to address issues about masculinity in our culture.
We feel that youth need to be given as many opportunities as possible to be healthy and active. Many middle school students begin to lose interest in traditional sports and gravitate towards more sedentary activities. Now more than ever, youth struggle with obesity due, in part, to “plugging in” to video games, TV and the Internet. Velocity offers them an alternative.
Benefits of Velocity:
The Velocity program allows students to participate in various activities in an environment where everyone wins and no one is “picked last for the team.”
- Activities increase self-esteem and provide a sense of accomplishment
- The format creates an environment of trust where emotions can be expressed
- The program supports development of close relationships in a non-judgmental arena
- Clear and common objectives allow students to collectively harness their energy towards a single goal
- Activities result in growth and development on an individual level, so participants can progress at their own pace
- Hiking and Orienteering
- Break Dancing
- Martial Arts
- Weight Training
- Relationships with girls
- Social media issues
- Role Models
Velocity offers six sessions, once a week for six weeks, each including an activity geared toward health and fitness as wells as a facilitated discussion.
How to bring Velocity to your school:
Velocity is growing! We’re looking for more schools to add Velocity to their afterschool roster.
Contact us and we’ll walk you through the brief application process.
The Velocity Program costs $60 per participant. Scholarships are available. We will work with each school to meet their needs.