Before heading home from the hospital or another treatment facility, check out these tips and resources to help you take care of yourself.
Before Your Stay
- Arrange transportation to and from the hospital.
- Prepare meals and freeze them ahead of time, and plan ahead for help with grocery shopping upon returning home.
- Have someone that you trust accompany you when you are admitted to help you remember what needs to be done once you're heading home.
- Make sure your home is tidy, (free of loose rugs or other items that could cause you to trip).
- Save all important contacts somewhere visible/easily accessible.
- Tell people that you trust what is happening prior to the event.
Questions to Ask
As you prepare to go home, you'll receive a plan of care, but it is up to you to ask questions so that you're fully informed and able to take care of yourself. This is crucial in lowering your chances of having to return to the facility after you've been discharged.
You can find a list of excellent questions to ask here.
When you're ready to go home post-operation or treatment, it's important to receive support from people you trust. Lean on your family and friends during this time. You can also contact us for extra help. A Blue Cross Case Manager can help you understand the next steps in your recovery, provide you with helpful and healthy resources, and discuss your home life and ways to stay safe and well.
We're here to help! If you're feeling overwhelmed with the process or feel like you still have questions, check out our informative slick, or call our case management team at: (800) 922-8778 (option 3, and then option 2).