Consumer Fraud Alert!
We have received several recent reports of telemarketing scams targeting Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont members.
If an unexpected caller tries to sell you something you hadn’t planned to buy or pressures you for personal information—like your credit card or Social Security number—it’s likely a scam.
Medicare beneficiaries are a common target for fraudulent telephone schemes, but anyone can be targeted by phone scammers. Please note: Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont will never make unsolicited calls to members requesting personal information and offering to send medications, creams, or medical equipment.
If you receive an unsolicited call from Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont or any other company or vendor, there are a few steps you can take to keep your information safe:
- Never give out personal information to an unsolicited caller.
- Ask for the caller's name, company name, and a callback number.
- Hang up the call, confirm that the callback number is correct (i.e., make sure the number you were given is the correct number for Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont customer service), and return the company's call only if you've been able to verify that the number you were given is legitimate.
- If the caller seems suspicious to you in any way during the call, hang up immediately!
If you receive a suspicious call, please report it right away--even if your personal information was not compromised.
If you receive a fraudulent call
- Report it to the FTC’s Consumer Complaints website https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov
- Report it to the VT Attorney General’s Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) at 800-649-2424
- Join the National Do Not Call Registry and report unwanted calls at https://www.donotcall.gov
If you believe you have been scammed or your information has been compromised:
- Report the incident to VT Department of Financial Regulation, Insurance Division, Consumer Services at 802-828-3302 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont Customer Service (the number on the back of your ID card or 800-247-2583), Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont Fraud Department at 800-337-8440, or email email@example.com
Common fraud and telemarketing calls being reported:
Scammers frequently contact Medicare beneficiaries and offer a variety of goods or services in order to obtain personal information for identity theft and/or fraudulent Medicare billing purposes.
- Genetic Testing (https://oig.hhs.gov/fraud/consumer-alerts/alerts/geneticscam.asp).
- Durable Medical Equipment (DME)
- Pain Creams
Remember: NEVER give out your personal information to an unexpected caller. If you are not certain who the caller is or the call seems suspicious, hang up the phone and refer to the steps above to protect yourself and others from fraudulent telephone schemes.