"Why do young adults need health insurance?"
Tell us why with a short video and you could win $500.
This contest is open to Vermonters or young people attending school in Vermont who are up to 25 years of age. The films will be used to educate young Vermonters about the need to have health insurance coverage, even when they’re young and healthy. The contest is sponsored by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont with support from Vermont’s state-sponsored health care programs.
Four $500 prizes will be awarded in the following categories:
- 25-second public service announcement by individual or team below college level (high school or middle school)
- 25-second public service announcement by individual or team at college level or above
- Short-format video (up to three minutes) by individual or team below college level (high school or middle school)
- Short-format video (up to three minutes) by individual or team at college level or above
While schools may sponsor students or teams, groups or individuals may also participate. You may enter one piece in each category. Each entry must be accompanied by an entry form listing all participants in your piece and the necessary releases (see requirements). All entrants will receive thank-you gifts.
Video Submissions must meet the following requirements/guidelines:
- As one of the four formats above, including any credits.
- Each entry must be delivered on DVD or CD.
- The video must not contain brand names or trademarks.
- All footage, including music, must be originally created material or you must obtain proper legal permission to use someone else’s copyrighted material.
- Entrants grant Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont the right to use their names, photographs and video submissions for advertising, publicity and promotional purposes.
- Persons under the age of 18 must have parental permission to appear in or participate in the creation of a video. We will require a release to use their likeness and their intellectual property.
- Persons over age 18 must sign a release if they appear in or participate in a video.
- Your entry must be clearly and legibly labeled with the title of the production, name(s) of filmmaker(s), and your school’s name (if applicable).
- All participants, including producers, actors, musicians, and anyone else whose image or sound is on your submission, must be listed on the signed entry form that is sent along with the video.
- An individual or team member must sign an affidavit to the effect that no people or animals were harmed or put at risk in the making of the video. (While it may seem intuitive to portray illness or accidents in your video, you must do so with no risk to your actors and crew.)
- No entries will be returned.
- All entries must be postmarked or hand delivered no later than 4:00 p.m. on Friday, April 24, 2009.
- Relatives of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont or other judges of the contest may submit videos and receive thank-you gifts and the judges may deem them worthy of exhibition, but they are not eligible to win the $500 prize.
Entries will be judged on the basis of the following criteria:
- Clearly defined message
- Youth appeal
- Overall production values/technical competence
- Video and audio quality
- Clarity of information
- Presentation effectiveness
Factors will be weighted as follows:
- Effectiveness at conveying message – 40%
- Relevance to the target audience (young people) – 40%
- Originality & Creativity – 20%
The chances of winning a prize are dependent on the number and quality of entries submitted prior to the deadline. If BCBSVT does not receive enough entries of sufficient quantity or quality, BCBSVT reserves the right not to award any prizes. Winning entries and those that achieve honorable mention will be shown at the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont Video Fest (date yet to be announced).
Some may also be used on television as PSAs. No compensation other than prize money will be given to participants if videos are used on the air.
Notification of winners
All winners will be notified no later than May 11, 2009.
How to Enter
Mail entries to:
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont
PO Box 186
Montpelier, Vermont 05601
You may also hand-deliver your entry to:
445 Industrial Lane
300 Interstate Corporate Center
(Routes 2 and 2A, Key Bank Building)