Individual & Family Enrollment
|2018 Open Enrollment/Renewal for Individuals & Families
Nov. 1, 2017 - Dec. 15, 2017
Need to make a change to your existing coverage?
|Go to Report a Change|
Special Enrollment Period | Enrolling in Coverage Outside Open Enrollment
If you experience a qualifying life event (special life events or changes that allow for enrollment outside the regular enrollment period) such as those listed below, you may be eligible for a special enrollment.
- Birth or adoption
- Loss of coverage
- Non-enrollment due to errors or exceptional circumstances
- Newly established eligibility due to changes in your income (for federal premium tax credits or cost share reductions)
- Eligibility based on permanent move – you move to a new state
- Court-ordered dependents
- Incapacitated dependents
- Victim of Domestic Abuse
If you experience a qualifying life event, you generally qualify for a special enrollment period of 60 days from the date of the triggering event, in which you can enroll in coverage on Vermont Health Connect.
If you fail to enroll or change your coverage (example: add new dependent) within the 60 day special enrollment period, you will have to wait until the next open enrollment to change your coverage.
Individuals have two options for buying coverage, noted in the table below. Both options give you access to the same BCBSVT plans and monthly rates.
|Enroll through a health plan, like Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont (BCBSVT)||
|Enroll through Vermont Health Connect (VHC)||
For help or questions, call our experienced BCBSVT exchange consultants:
(800) 255-4550 | Monday -Friday | 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
How to Enroll
1. Compare the various Qualified Health Plans (QHP). BCBSVT qualified health plans available through direct enroll or Vermont Health Connect (VHC).
2. Select the QHP that best meets your health care and budget needs.
3. Review the scenarios below and determine what enrollment option best suits you.
|Want to direct enroll with BCBSVT
(NOT a current direct enroll member)
Are NOT eligible or are choosing to voluntarily FORGO any state or federal subsidies, even if you qualify for them. This includes cost-share reduction plans
You have a few enrollment options:
1. If you're currently enrolled in BCBSVT coverage through VHC but would like to direct enroll with us, enter your BCBSVT member ID so we can direct enroll you.
2. Complete an online BCBSVT Individual Direct Enroll Web Form
3. Fill out a paper BCBSVT Individual Direct Enroll Application
|Enroll through Vermont Health Connect||Would like to take advantage of any potential state or federal subsidies, including access to cost-share reduction plans||
Go to healthconnect.vermont.gov or calling Vermont Health Connect at (855)-899-9600 to enroll.
Pay your premium directly to VHC.
If you need care prior to receiving your new BCBSVT ID card and you have enrolled through VHC and paid your premium, please contact us at (800) 255-4550.
Help Paying for Coverage
As an individual/family enrolling through VHC, you may qualify for help paying for your coverage. Learn more about available tax credits and subsidies.