Better Beginnings® is designed to help members who are pregnant give their baby the best healthcare available, even before he or she is born.
NOTE: To view or print program documents (pdf format ) requires Adobe® Acrobat® Reader version 7.0 or higher.
Download version 9.0 - FREE.
All enrolled Better Beginnings members are eligible for these benefits:
- Educational classes - we will reimbursement up $125. Examples of these classes would be childbirth, sibling, parenting, breastfeeding and CPR classes.
- Book voucher - you may choose one of the books from our enclosed list. (Book Voucher List)
- Educational materials
- DVD on infant care
- Three post delivery visits from a visiting nurse or international board certified lactation consultant
Better Beginnings members who enroll prior to 34 weeks may choose one of these enhanced benefits:
- Fitness classes: We will reimburse up $150 for classes taken during pregnancy and up to three months after your delivery.
- Car seat: We will reimburse up to $150 for a car seat purchased during your pregnancy and up to three months after delivery.
- Homemaker: We will reimburse up to $25 per hour up to nine hours to used within the first three months after delivery.
- Breast pump: Voucher for a personal use breast pump.
Your Better Beginnings® registered nurse case manager will:
- Support and advocate for your individual needs
- Provide information materials to help you make informed decisions regarding your pregnancy
How to Register
Prior to registering, please check your Better Beginnings eligibility by contacting customer service at the number on the back of your ID card. Some groups may not be eligibile for the program.
If you are eligible, you must register prior to the birth of your baby to participate in the program.
To register, simply complete, print and return the following forms:
- Better Beginnings HRA - lists questions about your general and pregnancy health; helps determine if you may be at risk for an early delivery or other complications of pregnancy
Please send your completed Better Beginnings® forms to us via:
Better Beginnings Program
P.O. Box 186
Montpelier, VT 05601
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont reserves the right to make changes in Better Beginnings® at any time.