- + Communications
- Eligibility & Benefits
- - Prior Approval / Pre-Notification / Pre-Service Requests
- + Policies
- Provider Manual/Handbook & Reference Guides
- Electronic Payment
- Electronic Business
- Contracting, Enrollment, Credentialing & Demographic Changes
- Contact Us
Prior Approval / Pre-Notification / Pre-Service Requests - VERMONT
Requirements & Forms
We provide benefits for certain services, drugs and supplies only if approval is obtained in advance. This ensures the procedures are diagnostically appropriate, medically necessary and cost effective.
BlueCard Members: To look up out-of-area member's prior approval/pre-notification/pre-certification/pre-service requirements, please use the Medical Policy Router.
Medical Policies: developed to provide clinical guidance and are based on research of current medical literature and review of common medical practices in the treatment and diagnosis of disease.
Acuity Connect: Portal designed to allow providers the ability to view and submit prior approval and pre-notification requests electronically. The portal allows providers to see the status and documentation associated with the authorization submitted. Accessible by logging into the secure Provider Resource Center.
Prior Approval Lists
To determine what prior approval requirements apply to a patient/member, refer to the table below.
**NOTE: Prior Approvals for members with NEHP/ABNE should only be sent to BCBSVT if the member has selected a primary care provider located in the State of Vermont. If the member has selected a PCP in any other state the local Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plan’s prior approval guidelines will apply and requests need to be submitted directly to that Plan.
Prior Approval Form
Use the State of Vermont Uniform Medical Prior Authorization Form for all prior approval and pre-service requests, except radiology and pharmacy (details below).
- Although the form is titled “State of Vermont” use if for all member types, not just State of Vermont employees.
- The fax number for completed prior approval forms is (866) 387-7914
- If you choose to mail a completed prior approval form the address is: BCBSVT Integrated Health Management, P O Box 186, Montpelier, VT 05601.
Some services also require a completed worksheet
These services require both a Uniform Prior Authorization Form and a completed worksheet:
- Psychological Testing Additional Information Worksheet
- Initial Inpatient Rehabilitation Worksheet
- Inpatient Rehabilitation Continuation Worksheet
Radiology & Pharmacy Services Prior Approval
- Radiology services (elective) - CT, CTA, MRI, MRA, MRS & PET scans use AIM Provider Portal
- Pharmacy Services - Prior approval drug list
Questions or need help? Contact provider service at (800) 924-3494.