- + Blue Health Solutions
- Healthwise Knowledgebase
- - Worksite Health & Wellness
- Blue Extras
- Tick Safety
Sleep is important for your physical and emotional health. Sleep may help you stay healthy by keeping your immune system strong and can help your mood and make you feel less stressed.
Good sleep habits:
- Create a quiet and comfortable sleeping area.
- Stick to a relaxing bedtime routine and try to go to bed at the same time every night.
If you can't sleep:
- Imagine yourself in a peaceful, pleasant scene. Focus on the details and feelings of being in a place that is relaxing.
- Get up and do a quiet or boring activity until you feel sleepy.
- Don't drink any liquids after 6 p.m. if you wake up often because you have to go to the bathroom.
Your habits and activities can affect how well you sleep. Here are some tips:
- Exercise during the day
- Get outside during daylight hours
- Limit caffeine (coffee, tea, caffeinated sodas) during the day
- Don't drink alcohol before bedtime
- Try not to smoke or use tobacco, especially in the evening
- Don't take medicine that may keep you awake, or make you feel hyper or energized, right before bed. Your doctor can tell you if your medicine may do this and if you can take it earlier in the day.
If you can't sleep because you are in great pain or have an injury, or you often feel anxious at night, or you have bad dreams or nightmares, talk with your doctor.