- Small Business
- + Large Business
- - Member Maintenance
- Employee Benefits
- + Newsletters
Membership At A Glance
|Type of Event||Deadline for Receipt||Change Effective Date|
|New Hire/Rehire*||No later than 60 days from date of eligibility.||First of the month following date of receipt, but not prior to completion of probationary period.|
|Marriage/Civil Union*||Within 31 days following marriage or civil union.||First of the month following marriage or civil union.|
|32 - 60 days following marriage or civil union.||First of the month following receipt.|
|Birth*||Within 60 days following birth.||Date of birth for child and 61st day after the birth for the membership type change.|
|Adoption*||Within 60 days following adoption (or placement for adoption)||Date of adoption (or placement for adoption)|
|Death||Within 6 months of the date of death.||First of the month following death.|
|Divorce||Within 60 days of divorce.||First of the month following divorce.|
|Qualifying Loss of Coverage*||Within 31 days after notification of loss of coverage.||Retroactive to date of coverage loss.|
|Voluntary Cancellation||Must submit Group Enrollment Form with employee signature.||First of the month following receipt.|
|Left Employment||Submit Group Membership Update Form indicating key word as "LE"||First of the month following receipt.|
|COBRA Eligibility||subscriber immediately. If subscriber accepts COBRA within 60 days, he or she can be retroactively reinstated.||Not Applicable.|
|Medicare Supplemental Coverage||Within 90 days of the date of Medicare coverage.||Date of Medicare entitlement. If received prior to Medicare effective date, coverage will be effective to coincide with Medicare.|
|Addition of Employee who refused initial enrollment||Prior to the Anniversary or Open Enrollment month.||First of the Anniversary or Open Enrollment month.|
|During the Anniversary or Open Enrollment month.||First of the month following receipt.|
* Requests not received as indicated above can be processed on your anniversary or open enrollment.
- All Group Enrollment Forms must be signed and dated by the subscriber.
- All Membership Update forms must be signed and dated by the appropriate group representative.
- Some small groups do not have open enrollments because of state laws forbidding them. Members of these groups may add eligible members at any time.
- For the complete Group Benefits Manager Manual, visit our website at www.bcbsvt.com/employer